Re: Has client validated successfully?

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:33 AM, Emmanuel Deloget <logout@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Kyle Hamilton <aerowolf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only thing that the server can know is whether the client has
> terminated the connection with a fatal alert.  If the client validates
> presented cert chains, then its continuation with the connection means
> that it passed validation.  If the client does not, or ignores any
> given error, then it doesn't mean that it passed validation.
>
> In other words, you can only know if the client's applied policy
> allows the connection to continue.  You cannot know if the policy that
> was applied was specifically related to the certificate chain
> presented.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:06 PM, J Decker <d3ck0r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there a way for a server to know if the client verified the cert chain
> > successfully or not?

​From a security PoV, that doesn't help much. One can build a malicious
version of openvpn that will tell you "everything's ok" (or "it failed!",
depending of its goal)​. The server should not make any decision w.r.t. the
client state (that's more or less what is implied by Kyle's answer ; I just
wanted to stress it).

Yes that is true.... however here's the scenario.
Client does a verification and passes or fails, and via the SSL layer I can query if the client validated the certificate.
If it failed, provide a option for the client to get a renewed certificate for verification.  If success, no action.
If an actor lies in this scenario he answers
lies *yes* and didn't, don't give him a means to actually verify. *noop*
lies *no* but did, then give him the root cert he already has.... *noop*

so I don't have to trust the reply.... I'm willing to give him the right root.

BR,

-- Emmanuel Deloget