Disable SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ / WRITE ?

Hi all,

I see a lot of questions and answers about how to handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ / WRITE during SSL_read/write, and I understand that the error is returned when the SSL library needs to do a handshake in the middle of read/write operation, so we need to repeat the call when the appropriate event happens.

But what I don't understand is, why does the library need to re-do the handshake? If I set up my program so go through the SSL_connect/accept calls properly (and handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ/WRITE in there properly) and do the handshake successfully in the beginning itself, then why does the library need to do a handshake again?

If I'm happy with my initial handshake, is there a way to disable subsequent handshaking for that socket?

Thanks,
Pratyush.