Re: Query regarding MSG_NOSIGNAL with SSL_Write

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It may be worth noting that nearly all well-written UNIX applications should set the disposition of SIGPIPE to SIG_IGN. SIGPIPE is a hack. It exists only to terminate poorly-written programs that could otherwise block a pipeline. See Bach, The Design of the UNIX Operating System; if memory serves, Bach quotes Dennis Ritchie on this point. SIGPIPE was introduced because some poorly-written programs did not check the return code from write.[1]

This is excellent advice. In principle, I am in complete agreement. We should not write code that depends on this artifact. We should treat it as deprecated.

However ... ;-)

It's probably also true that there is a lot of code that depends on it. True to form for "deprecated"

- M

--
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata