Migrating from EVP_Verify*/EVP_Sign* to EVP_Digest*

Hello,

we are currently discussing support for RSASSA-PSS padding in the node.js built-in crypto module:
https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/1127

So far, the crypto module uses the older EVP_Sign/EVP_Verify APIs, which do not support specifying the padding (and salt length). We considered switching to the newer EVP_Digest* functions, but we cannot provide the public key during initialization of the signature / verification process as this would require unacceptable changes to the public API of the crypto module. Is there any way to use the new API without specifying the key during initialization? Considering that the old API just computes a message digest until EVP_SignFinal/EVP_VerifyFinal is called, shouldn't it be possible to do merely
the same thing using the new API?

If it is impossible, is there any workaround?

Thank you in advance,
Tobias