OpenSSL 1.1 on solaris x86 32 bit

The CHANGES file for 1.1 contains this note regarding this platform:

  *) solaris-x86-cc, i.e. 32-bit configuration with vendor compiler,
     had to be removed. Primary reason is that vendor assembler can't
     assemble our modules with -KPIC flag. As result it, assembly
     support, was not even available as option. But its lack means
     lack of side-channel resistant code, which is incompatible with
     security by todays standards. Fortunately gcc is readily available
     prepackaged option, which we firmly point at...
     [Andy Polyakov]

Can someone please publish some more details about what Solaris and/or compiler versions showed problems?

Also were tests failing or were compiles/links failing?

I've tested this configuration with 1.1.0c using an older vendor compiler version and everything seems to work just fine using the -KPIC flag. I don't see anywhere in the build log where the assembler is being invoked directly.

My compiler is:

cc: Sun C 5.10 SunOS_i386 Patch 142363-05 2010/04/28
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

thanks,

Norm Green