Openssl 1.1 port - hash state serializing

I have a simulation of a hardware device that has the following characteristics:

- does hashing functions
- resource constrained
- multi-user

Therefore, a typical pattern is that one application starts a digest calculation, then the hash state must get swapped out for another user.

In 1.0, I did this by (cheating) serializing the hash state to swap out, than deserializing to swap back in. This required looking inside the hash state structure. I know it wasn't portable accross versions, but the structure was pretty stable.

Is there a way to do this in 1.1?  Can one be added?