openssl verify reporting errors where there are none

Hi all,

I am trying to use ?openssl verify? as a sanity check to determine whether a set of certificates are sane and valid in a script that issues (or reissues) the certificates, and I?m struggling with the output of the ?openssl verify? command.

This is output I get while verifying three certificates in a chain:

minfrin at localhost:~$ openssl verify -issuer_checks -trusted root-ca.crt -untrusted intermediate.crt cert.crt
cert.crt: [stuff]
error 29 at 0 depth lookup:subject issuer mismatch
[stuff]
error 29 at 0 depth lookup:subject issuer mismatch
[stuff]
error 29 at 0 depth lookup:subject issuer mismatch
[stuff]
error 29 at 0 depth lookup:subject issuer mismatch
OK

In theory the command just told me everything is ok. In practise, that command told the person running the script that 4 separate errors are present, which obviously in this case is not the case.

Is there a way to suppress these spurious messages so I only see actual errors?

Regards,
Graham
?