Behaviour facing a broken OCSP responder

> The documentation does not seem too clear about what the behaviour
> exactly is when OpenSSL deals with a broken OCSP responder. ?For instance,
> one that would send an OK without any contents. ?We call openssl from an
> application and would like to know what is returned in such a case, or in the
> case of any broken responder.

Broken can mean so many things.  You included an example.

Are you talking about the command-line?  It would be great if someone sent in a patch that standardized and documented exit codes, like 0 for got a "good" response, "1" for got a "bad" response, and 10 for got an unparseable response"