Re: Can we reset CSI u mode on client disconnect? via

On Mon, Jul 08, 2024 at 05:02:26AM +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jul 2024, David Leadbeater wrote:
>
> >Older hardware or software terminals will ignore any escape sequences
> >they don't recognise, it won't result in any "extra junk" (I'm using
>
> Heh. No. Most of the time, only parts of the sequence are ignored
> (at best).

I don't know about old terminals but among the ones I've tried,
only Emacs' ansi-term reacts poorly to CSI and OSC sequences it
doesn't recognize (instead of ignoring them).

> >another method (there are reporting sequences for what key modes are
> >enabled / supported which for example is how Vim does this) then
> >enable the mode if needed.
>
> That all needs curses or termcap.

I prefer to get by without terminfo or termcap because those can
provide incomplete or wrong information, especially inside SSH. All
user errors I guess but avoidable ones, if things were simpler.

It would be better to print \e[=0u directly.  That's what editors
like Kakoune and shells like fish do; I haven't heard of any problems
in practice. Of course ssh is much more widely used, so I appreciate
that emitting this escape sequence by default would probably break
cases like aforementioned OS/2 consoles.