Compounding global and individual settings in ssh-config files?

Hello everyone,

my workplace has gotten the idea of centrally maintaining a file in ssh_config syntax so that employees do not need to discover every new machine and configure it on their own. Since it's a case of "let's get started now, and properly think it through later", right now, a typical entry might look like

Host    [product]-[Customer]
        Hostname        [privateIP]
        user            [primaryAccount]
        ProxyCommand nc -x 127.0.0.1:2124 -X 5 %h %p

(with the parts in [] varying from one machine to the next) - and if you know how disparate the options of "nc"/netcat can look from one distrib to the next, you'll immediately know why this suggestion has me concerned. :-}

I suppose that *this* particular instance of the problem can be mostly fixed, either by switching to "ProxyJump" (referring to a config entry that every user maintains himself) or with a wrapper script¹, but it has me wondering: Are there plans, or even better already-implemented mechanisms, that would allow entries in (global) config files to "inherit"² single config lines preset in another (individual) config file?

¹ Note that as of now, the names do *not* include which platform the machine is running on, but the proper proxying depends on that. So, no using "Host" blocks with patterns unless I can get everyone to using *my* host-naming style. :-/

² Please take the term with a planetoid of salt. I do not have a preference whether it should be, or act like, "inheritance" like in Nagios object configs, "includes", "variables", "templates", or whatever. :-3

³ Yes, I suppose that providing just the main data - name, IP, user, port (if nonstandard) and which proxy to use - from a central source and individually turning that into an ssh_config with some preprocessor could also prove a powerful solution here ...

Thanks in advance,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur