Re: How to get "Enter passphrase" on command line rather than GUI pop-up?

On 02.01.24 10:37, Chris Green wrote:
It's started by gnome-keyring-daemon which is handy because it uses my
login password to unlock my default passphrase, thus I don't need to
enter a passphrase explicitly when running my GUI desktop.

It's only because I want to use a *different* key/passphrase pair for
some systems that I have hit this issue of ssh-agent using a GUI
pop-up to ask for a passphrase.

Now *that* sounds like the practical thing to do is to have only the shells/terminals used for *those* tasks decoupled from your agent running centrally in the background. (Which, as you already discovered, can be done by unsetting $SSH_AUTH_SOCK in those shells.)

Do SSH_ASKPASS and SSH_ASKPASS_REQUIRE affect ssh-agent directly?
There's nothing in the man page indicating this.

I'd guess that they do, but that's irrelevant: Since the agent is not running in a shell/terminal, it *cannot* ask you for the passphrase on any command line instead, much less the one you're running the "ssh" from.

You could instead control the agent's behaviour by un- and reloading privkeys with "ssh-add" before "ssh"ing, but that's hardly a UX improvement.

I guess the need to specify the key file is a result of [...]

OpenSSH will autoload keypairs from a number of defined pathes, but what seems to be the one you're using here ($HOME/backup_id_rsa) is not one of them, so you'll always have to point your login procedure at that file *somehow/-time*.

(In fact, having additional keypairs at the default pathes might be detrimental if you want your "ssh" to fall back to a specified one, because ssh will try them automatically, every time ssh asks sshd "would you be willing to accept *this* keypair?" counts as a failed login attempt (long-standing bug), and sshd limits the number of attempts it'll let the client have in the one TCP connection (MaxAuthTries config).)

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur