Re: Open SSH End-of-Life Schedule?

On Fri, 13 Oct 2023, Jeremy Guthrie wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Just wondering in general if there is a policy, not as any kind of library.  Below are more examples from that website of tools, servers and services.  It’s possible there still isn’t a timeframe but wondering about general end-of-life expectations even if there have been only cursory discussions.
>
> https://endoflife.date/ansible-core
> https://endoflife.date/tomcat
> https://endoflife.date/postgresql
>
> Example PostgreSQL Versioning policy:
> https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
> "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group supports a major version for 5 years after its initial release. After its five year anniversary, a major version will have one last minor release containing any fixes and will be considered end-of-life (EOL) and no longer supported."

We don't do major releases or minor versions, and we don't offer support
for any version*. We just fix bugs, add requested features and note
incompatibilities (almost always minor) that arise as we go.

Every now and then we'll make a change that causes some incompatibility,
e.g. killing ssh1 or deprecating weak crypto. We tend to announce these
years in advance to give people a chance to act.

* I mean, you can report a bug in any version and we'll look it it and try
  to fix it if it is still present, but there's no LTS-like version where
  we collect these bugfixes.