Re: XMSS

Chris Rapier:

> I know XMSS support has been experimental for quite some time. Is there any
> push to change the status? Just curious more than anything else.

I don't expect XMSS to ever be enabled by default.  Better PQC
signature algorithms are in the pipeline, e.g., Google and ETH
recently announced a hybrid ECDSA/Dilithium implementation small
enough to fit on a FIDO2 security key.
https://security.googleblog.com/2023/08/toward-quantum-resilient-security-keys.h
tml

XMSS has properties that match up poorly with typical SSH usage:
* Private keys can only sign a limited number of messages.
* The private key changes with every signature generation.
  The key must be reliably updated since reusing an old key breaks
  security.

That may be acceptable if you sign a file using an SSH key, but it
won't fly with sshd.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx