Re: Host key verification (known_hosts) with ProxyJump/ProxyCommand

Would the UserKnownHostsFile be relative to the current working
directory of the `ssh` process at the time of its call, or would it
figure out that these files are relative to
/home/me/workplace/ops/eng-ssh/bigcust-config?

Nope… just tried it, at this time it's relative to whatever
directory you call `ssh` from.

Which if everybody who used this directory kept it in the same
place, wouldn't be a big issue… but since I'll bet everyone I'm
working with keeps this repository in a different place, there is no
"stable" path that will work for everyone.  Short of getting
everyone to set an environment variable in ~/.profile, I can't
configure this in a seamless manner.

You could mandate people having a ~/.ssh/config-workplace.d symlink pointing
to the right place (the git checkout directory), and use that in
a (static) ~/.ssh/config file:

    Include ~/.ssh/config-workplace.d/*

That's a one-time setup cost.

Optionally you could even try hiding that in a Match block:

    Match bigcustomer-*-bne-*
        Include ~/.ssh/config-workplace.d/*

so that only these nodes are influenced by the redirections.