Re: Tool to measure ssh latency ("sshping") ?

You are of course right, but maybe also wrong. This is why I recommended looking into multiplexing. If a regular SSH connection was used, there would be too much jitter caused by e.g. DNS cache expiring, randomness diminishing, fork()ing a new SSHD process (and the whole stack of PAM/systemd session/whatever), I think we all know that hiccups happen.
Then such test just needs to be modified to use that multiplexing, and only then it’s worthwhile to do any tuning (like disabling/enabling Nagle’s algorithm depending on what the RPC payloads would be, or tuning tcp windows etc.).

But I also have a nagging question of “is this a good idea?” in my head. This whole approach of using cat on a file and calling it RPC seems a bit naive, just like something I would do for some simple project, but not something that would be scalable or reliable or worthwhile asking a mailing list about :-))

Jan