RE: RE: Subsystem sftp invoked even though forced command created

The forced command actively uses the client's input to feed data to the server (it constructs a file name from the information supplied by the client). So changing the forced command as stated will break the application. I would need to create a test bed to simulate the listener rather than use the server as is, where is. That may produce false or misleading results.

A pseudocode description of the forced command follows:
	Read one line from stdin and store to $FQDN.
	Read one line from stdin and store to $ENVIRONMENT.
	Construct a temporary and a permanent file name using the system date, process ID, $FQDN, and $ENVIRONMENT.
	Slurp up (dd) all remaining data from stdin and store in the temporary file name constructed in the previous step.
	Perform some textual cleanup on the temporary file.
	Save the cleaned-up file to the permanent file name.
	Emit a success message to stdout.

Obviously there is also error handling, which emits error messages to stdout. But WinSCP is giving no indication that anything has been sent to it during the session setup.

Oddly enough, the same behavior occurs when the embedded key is used to launch an interactive sftp session from the host running the legitimate client:
# sftp -i ${embeddedKey} ${user}@${host}
<Standard warning from /etc/issue.net>
Connected to ${host}.
sftp> ls
README              collectors          receive-data.ksh    tmp
sftp> ^D
So we can probably write off any idiosyncrasies of WinSCP and work only with OpenSSH. Note there is no output from the script whatsoever.

Mike McManus
Principal – Technology Security
GTO Security Governance Team - Unix
P: He/Him/His

AT&T Services, Inc.
20205 North Creek Pkwy, Bothell, WA 98011
michael.mcmanus@xxxxxxx