From: Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2023 1:12 AM
To: openssh-unix-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: MCMANUS, MICHAEL P <mm1072@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subsystem sftp invoked even though forced command created

On 30.06.23 00:06, MCMANUS, MICHAEL P wrote:
> An authorized penetration tester brought to my attention that the private
> key embedded in the application can be extracted and used to launch a
> WinSCP session against the user ID which the client uses to send the data
> to the server.

As it happens, I have a system using dedicated keypairs and forced
commands configured for them to extract survey data from CentOS 7 boxes,
so let me try that ...

> $ ssh -t -q autoquest@bongo -p 29056 -i .ssh/id_uptime_ed25519
> 1688110066
> 1684949224
> 685215
> 0

> $ sftp -P 29056 -i .ssh/id_uptime_ed25519 -q autoquest@bongo
> Received message too long 825636920

Hm. Some specific quirk of WinSCP, maybe ... ?

[grabs Win10 box] [updates WinSCP to 6.1.1] [adds keypair to both ends]

... gets me an error (-> screenshot) suggesting that it received the
output from the forced command, and logs that the sshd has indeed run
the forced command. Sorry, cannot confirm so far ...

> I ran the client as is and received the following entry in the log:
> Command: 2>/dev/null

That's a weird, I'd even say nonfunctional, remote command, and makes me
suspect that your ssh command has a syntax problem ... ?

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur