Re: Minimize sshd log clutter/spam from unauthenticated connections

On 19.03.23 07:03, Philipp Marek wrote:
I quite like having a process listen on port 53 and wait for a dns query containing a totp string to grant (temporary) access; that's a 2fa, and doing a "host 123456. my-ip" is easily automated in a shell script as well...

I have to admit, I *really* like the TOTP idea.

For the time being, I've deployed a quasi-knocking KISS solution that sends an unencrypted secret via a single UDP packet. Server side is realized entirely with nftables:

table inet filter {
    # set of IP addresses that have authenticated via knocking
    set sshauth {
        type ipv4_addr
        size 255
        flags timeout, dynamic
    }

    chain input {
        type filter hook input priority filter; policy drop;

        # SSH knocking with single UDP packet containing unencrypted secret
        udp dport 12345 @ih,0,32 0xdeadbeef add @sshauth { ip saddr timeout 4h } counter
        # alternatively TCP fast open can be used to knock with firewalls that only permit TCP port 22
        tcp dport 22 tcp flags syn @ih,0,32 0xdeadbeef add @sshauth { ip saddr timeout 4h } counter reject with tcp reset

        # accept new SSH connections from IP addresses that have knocked
        ip saddr @sshauth tcp dport 22 ct state new counter accept

        # accept established connections and reject the rest
        ct state { established, related } accept
        meta pkttype unicast ip protocol tcp counter reject with tcp reset
    }
}

For SSH hosts only accessed by a select few of technically experienced users that approach has worked like a charm.

Best regards,
Carsten