Re: Looking for Special Challenge-Response Auth PAM Module, or Similar

On 8/23/22 15:15, Jochen Bern wrote:
-- HOTP, which would lack the *single* strictly-(de|in)creasing counter to be replay safe (snarf response used on a "well worn" appliance, replay it on one with a "younger" counter, unless we start shipping appliances with *individual* secrets to boot).

-- TOTP, which *would* be replay safe - if only our appliances weren't meant to sync against the customers' own NTP servers, so that their time can trivially be off or downright manipulated.

What I'm looking for is a solution where the appliance would prompt with a *randomly chosen* challenge, random enough to make it unfeasible to try and wait for the challenge to repeat, the technician types the challenge into some device of his own (laptop, if need be), types the response displayed back into the appliance, and hey, nice camera you have there making an *entirely useless* recording.

OCRA?
(also one of the OATH standards)

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6287

Ciao, Michael.