Re: Don't link sftp, sftp-server or scp with libcrypto

On 7/13/22 00:56, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2022, Darren Tucker wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> This applies on top of my previous patch cleaning up libcrypt and stops
>> linking scp, sftp and sftp-server against libcrypto.  Why do this?
>> Well for one reason these components sometimes get used independently
>> of ssh/sshd (eg in OpenWRT where they can be used with Dropbear) and
>> it'd be nice if I could have sftp on space constrained devices without
>> the currently-required but not strictly necessary additional libraries.
>>
>> The same thing can be done with zlib but that's the next patch.
>
> IIRC we linked libcrypto because some linkers were not smart enough to
> elide references to libcrypto coming from unused functions in libssh
>
> It's possible that I'm wrong/outdated though

That reminds me: is there any chance that OpenSSH’s SSH client
code could be made into a library that other code could use as well?
Having to spawn a child process is a bit annoying, and I would like
to be able to use all of ssh(1)’s features.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)