Re: Azure DevOps hosted git, and Bastion, failing to negotiate encryption?

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 5:07 AM Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21.05.22 01:41, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > I'm dealing with Azure DevOps git services with which recent, security
> > hardened SSH clients on a RHEL 8 variant cannot stablish public-key
> > based  SSH links to the Azure Devops. Other RHEL 8 based systems work
> > well.
> >
> > Conversely, Azure Bastion cannot use Azure key vault stored private
> > SSH keys to access the same RHEL 8 based servers, though they can
> > reach other hosts with the same private key and the same public key.
> > I've also used the private SSH key, locally, to connect to the various
> > servers.
>
> In my experience, if you can run a plain "ssh -v" as the client, the
> output *does* include details about the problem *somewhere*. To wit:
>
> > $ ssh -v root@SomeOldBox
> [...]
> > Unable to negotiate with SomeOldBox port 22: no matching key exchange >    method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,>
>      diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
>
> > $ ssh -v -o "KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group14-sha1" root@SomeOldBox
> [...]
> > Unable to negotiate with SomeOldBox port 22: no matching
> >    host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
>
> > $ ssh -v -o "KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group14-sha1"
> >    -o "HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa" root@SomeOldBox
> [...]
> > Unable to negotiate with SomeOldBox port 22: no matching MAC found.
> >    Their offer: hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,
> >       hmac-ripemd160@xxxxxxxxxxx,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96
> etc. etc.. If I had to *guess*, I'd say that the dissent is about the
> key vault somehow offering (only) ssh-rsa while the hardened RHEL now
> insists on rsa-sha2-* for a key algorithm ...

The key vault stores whatever key I put in it. The issue is that on
the CIS published OpenSSH client setup, they no longer support plain
"ssh-rsa" protocol anymore. The trick is to enable it as needed:

    Host azure-git-server.domain
        PuubKeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-rsa

The safest place to put it for all clients on the server is:

    /etc/ssh/ssh_config.d/10-azure-git-server

I'm unsure of the change is built into the most recent versions of
OpenSSH on RHEL 8, or in another package like crypto-policies that was
hand-modified by the authors of the particular VM. But it's working
well now.