Re: Howto log multiple sftpd instances with their chroot shared via NFS

On 22.09.21 11:18, David Newall wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, Hildegard Meier wrote:
So, if a user logs in on the first server, where syslog-ng was started least, the user's sftp activity is logged on the first server. But if the user logs in on the second server, it's sftp activity is not logged, neither on the second nor on the first server.

Forward the log entries on both machines to a log host.

Considering that server B is not logging *at all* right now, I doubt that it'll have anything to forward to a log host, either.

The problem *presumably* is that the syslogd on server A has put some sort of file lock on the device that propagates through the NFS server and interferes with syslogd on server B using it.

One solution might be to reconfigure the syslogd's to use a method of locking that does *not* propagate through NFS. I'm afraid I don't know syslog-ng well enough to advise on that.

Then there's the possibility of reconfiguring *NFS* to stop the forwarding, but "breaking" file locking on NFS is, of course, a can of worms of possible side effects ...

(Bind) mounting a local .../dev over the NFS-shared chroot dirtree ... ought to work, but complicates unmounting/remounting, which was already enough of a hair-puller in failure scenarios when I last worked with NFS.

What do the chrooted users have for a homedir *within* the chroot? Would it be possible to have /var/data/chroot be a local FS and mount only /var/data/chroot/home from the NFS server? (If there are files that you need to keep identical on both servers, e.g., under /var/data/chroot/etc, you can still symlink those to some special subdir like /var/data/chroot/home/ETC to put the actual data onto the NFS share.)

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur