Re: Why are the arguments supplied for the command run through ssh interpreted by shell before they are passed to the command on the server side?

On 2020-01-11 05:38, Colin Watson wrote:
I do think it's a problem that, as far as I can see, the exact behaviour
of ssh command interpretation isn't explained anywhere in its man pages,
even though it seems like the only possibility if you understand the
protocol.  ssh(1) just says "If command is specified, it is executed on
the remote host instead of a login shell", but that doesn't provide any
hint about what quoting of metacharacters might be required, which is
important since ssh is often used as plumbing.

A practical problem stemming from this is "how to pass a string to the server verbatim". I just escaped every character with '\'. But is this excessive, or generally sufficient? I can't tell since it isn't clear how the arguments are processed, and by what shell. It's not documented.

Yuri