Re: Re: openssh 7.6 and 7.7 on Oracle Linux 7 (compiled from source) doesn't start correctly with systemd

On 08/23/2018 07:49 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> How could systemd determine whether startup of a foreground daemon
> completed successfully or failed?
> Other than explicit notification (like a AF_UNIX message) systemd
> could only use time; it could wait for the daemon to exit(EXIT_FAILURE)
> after exec() - but how long is long enough? Every answer is incorrect.

If we can agree that neither systemd nor "legacy" methods(*) of getting
feedback from daemon processes will cease to exist just because the
other side wishes them to hard enough, then complementing either side
(but preferably systemd) with a (general, configurable, contrib/ subdir
based) wrapper to translate as needed would seem a pragmatic solution.
</€.02>

(*) PID file, lookup in the process table, check for a LISTEN, pattern
match in a logfile, running a dedicated *client* executable / Nagios
plugin / ${DAEMON}ctl tool for a test, throwing the daemon a
SIGAREYOUWELL/shmem/semaphore/... request, you name it

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur