OpenSSH & OpenSSL 1.1

Howdy all,

I know that the OpenSSH team has made a clear and well justified decision regarding interoperability with OpenSSL 1.1. I respect that entirely. That said, I've recently had to deal with a couple of users who had a specific set of requirements with building OpenSSH 7.7 using patches for OpenSSL 1.1 found in the slackware package. (http://slackblog.com/slackware/slackware64-current/source/n/openssh/)

I found it annoying that this patch absolutely required OpenSSL 1.1 so I modified it to provide a single patch that will compile under OpenSSL 1.1 as well as earlier versions. Mostly it's just a whole lot of #if/#else/#endifs to work with the different interfaces.

I'm not submitting this patch for inclusion into OpenSSH. I'm just providing it in case it might be of value to people in the community.

This patch passes all regression tests and seems to work pretty well. If you do get this please be sure to rebuild configure so it picks up the changes in configure.ac.

You can grab the patch here https://sourceforge.net/projects/hpnssh/files/OpenSSL-1.1%20Compatibility/

Chris Rapier