Established connection timing out

Hey list,

I've read the man page for both the client and server daemon, so either
I missed something or this isn't an SSH issue but something going on
with perhaps routers or MTUs.

I am having problems with already established connections to a remote
server timing out after a few minutes. I connect either over ssh or via
rsync tunnelled over the former.

On the client side eventually I just see a whole pile of messages like
this, but no rsync traffic appears occurring:

    debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype     keepalive@ope
nssh.com     reply 1

I've monitored both the client and server via strace and neither
machine appears to have "died" from some kind of memory exhaustion,
bandwidth issue, etc. Both appear to simply be waiting for the other to
do something.

Since my client side rsync is running as root, I tried to modify
/etc/ssh_config to try and keep the connection alive. This is the
client side /etc/ssh_config

    Host *

        ServerAliveInterval 5
        ServerAliveCountMax 20

And this is the server side /etc/sshd_config:

    Port 22
    Protocol 2
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
    UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

    KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
    ServerKeyBits 768

    SyslogFacility AUTH
    LogLevel INFO

    LoginGraceTime 120
    PermitRootLogin yes
    StrictModes yes

    RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    AuthorizedKeysFile	%h/.ssh/authorized_keys

    IgnoreRhosts yes
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    HostbasedAuthentication no

    PermitEmptyPasswords no

    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    PrintMotd no
    PrintLastLog yes

    AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

    UsePAM yes

    UseDNS no

    ClientAliveCountMax 20
    ClientAliveInterval 5

The latter two options I'm assuming are the most important here, but
they don't seem to do anything.

Any help appreciated.

--
Kip Warner | Senior Software Engineer