Re: Cannot get sftp transfers to log in the systemd journal

On 05/10/2016 12:57 PM, John wrote:
Thank you for the reply.  Indeed, I see entries for the entries in my journalctl output under 'sftp-server' if I transfer a file from a normal user on my system.  I also setup a chroot-jail but as you mentioned, no logs are written for these.  What is the different approach I need to use?
There are two possibilities. Either you set up logging socket in chroot and set up syslog/journal to receive message from it, or there is some possibility to log over the socket opened by the parent (before going into chroot), which is a bit hacky solution (and not upstream for some reason). We have got the patch in our git [1], but there will probably be some bug in upstream bugzilla.

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/openssh.git/tree/openssh-6.6.1p1-log-in-chroot.patch

Regards,

--
Jakub Jelen