Re: configure warning on SunOS 4.1.4

On 01.02.16 08:20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
SunOS 4.1.4? Dear lord, that OS is old enough to drink now.I still remember doing the first published ports of ssh-1, ssh-2, and openssh to SunOS way, way back in yesteryear. *Why* are you still running this? I'm not deprecating the work, just wondering why you're supporting an OS more than 20 years old from a company that no longer exists, on an OS that Sun itself tried to deprecate when Solaris came out.

Hi Nico,

well, I used to work for that company and went through all thinkable migrations from SunOS to Solaris at many customer sites. Now I'm old and play around with some of these oldtimer's I've sitting around here. And not to get too rusty I try to get some things going. To be honest I don't want to get SSH for SunOS 4.1.4 running, instead I want to have have it for SunOS 4.1.1_U1 on Sun3x architecture (3/80). But since compiling on this even more older hardware I begun my work on a SS10 with 4.1.4 - 2x60Mhz/512MB memory. But to something more serious, you would be wondering how much people still use such old operating systems on some island-systems which would love to have a secure connectivity for. The last known working SecureShell server for Sun3 you can get is: OpenSSH-4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.98a from: http://www.sun3arc.org/precompiled/precomp.phtml - I have a working OpenSSL 1.0.2f for Sun4 now the build for Sun3 will follow when SSH is working. I even have made good progress implementing the missing snprintf into the libc to at least have the underlying zlib as secure as possible. But if you tell me you will abandon SunOS4 completely I would be sad, but well the world doesn't go down the bin because of that. And after all it's much fun -:)

So the first build on SPARC is fished and installed the conclusions so far:

hostnameresolution isn't working - only IP's possible
everything runs without dumping at least a core.
if trying to connect via ssh from the build system to any other secure-shell server the following happens:

nobody@nosystem % ssh 192.168.xxx.xxx
The authenticity of host '192.168.xxx.xxx (192.168.xxx.xxx)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:TtrEzvxTL5C...
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.xxx.xxx' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.