Re: Feature request

On 23/07/15 22:13, Tim Rice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015, Lars Bahner wrote:

Hepp!

I am sitting in a remote country trying to reboot my server at home.
Services are running, but the filesystem seems to be unreachable.
I can ssh into the system, but when entering interactive mode,
nothing happens and the session is terminated. Then I thought -
what if sshd had builtins like bash, so that i could send a "reboot"
command to the ssh daemon instead "ssh system /sbin/reboot"
andd sshd could tell PID 1 to reboot.
With filesystem problems you may not be able to read/execute /sbin/reboot.

Use a public key to do wahat wou want. Something like this in
root's authorizd_keys file.

from="<your home machine>",command="/sbin/reboot",no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding<your key here>

AFAIK he is proposing builtins precisely so the reboot code is already in the sshd binary. However, if your fs is broken, you may not be able to even log in (can't read passwd or authorized_keys).

PS: Per Murphy law, your server will not reboot cleanly until you are phisically in front of it.