Re: Name based SSH proxy

On 26/05/15 23:42, Kasper Dupont wrote:
>  I think the ProxyCommand Kasper ended up describing (checking for v6
>  connectivity or using a constrained HTTP CONNECT proxy) is a acceptable
>  way to go for people in the particular scenario he's concerned about.
But it does not address all my requirements. I have a
requirement that the hostname being used must be visible
to the administrator of the SSH server. And it must be
visible with minimal effort without requiring any software
changes on the server.

Sending the hostname in clear from proxy to server would
address that concern.

But there are not many opportunities for a proxy to inject
data into the data stream from client to server without
breaking integrity checks on the packets.
Why do you want the hostname being used to "be visible to the administrator
of the SSH server"?

I assumed you wanted to send the final hostname to the *proxying SSH server*.
In which case, you don't need such thing if using a HTTP CONNECT proxy (the
hostname is now given to the HTTP proxy). And if you use a ssh server like the ssh
tunneling I proposed, the final hostname is already provided, too.

If you want instead to give the hostname used to the *final* sshd, that's a different requirement for which you provided no rationale (and I suspect you are not really
interested in).

Much more interesting at the final end than the requested would be to have the original client IP (ie. X-Forwarded-For) but that would open a different can of worms (and required software changes) about proxies whose forwarded IPs should be trusted.
Something I would prefer not to enter into.

A similar idea I had thought in the past was the ability to transparently forward a connection after authentication to a different machine (after the PrivSep step, the new sshd would be in a different host in the LAN). It differs from Kasper proxy in that
the proxy would be trusted (seen as the real machine from the outside).