Re: Does openconnect support IPSec with EAP-MSCHAPv2 authentication?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 4:40 PM Daniel Lenski <dlenski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 4:59 AM David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 18:02 -0700, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> > > One approach is to try to put together an anonymized document that
> > > describes the protocol abstractly, like I did here for GlobalProtect
> > > as I was studying it:
> > > https://github.com/dlenski/openconnect/blob/master/PAN_GlobalProtect_protocol_doc.md
> > >
> > > The good news is that a lot of the information needed to add support
> > > for Cisco IPSEC is probably right there in the headers of the CSTP
> > > connection request/response which we already understand very well. Try
> > > connect to your server with `openconnect --dump -vvvv`, and start
> > > looking for HTTP headers that mention IPSEC or ESP.
> > >
> > > It's all plain text at that point, so it should be quite
> > > straightforward to identify and obfuscate anything that may be
> > > sensitive (e.g. username, password, cookies, secret values).
> >
> > Isn't this the IKE-based one that is partly supported by vpnc
>
> Your guess is as good as mine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>
> I have…
> a) Actually used old Cisco VPNs that use IKEv1 for auth and
> configuration and ESP for data transport (with vpnc)
> b) Actually used Cisco VPNs that use HTTPS for auth and DTLS and/or
> HTTPS for data transport (with OpenConnect)
> c) Heard half-whispered legends alleging the existence of Cisco VPNs
> that use HTTPS for auth and ESP for data transport
> d) Probably not heard of all of them despite the fact that I spent a
> substantial fraction of my time figuring out how to connect to various
> VPNs from 2016-2019.
>
> I guess we're going to find out if this is an (a) or a (c) or a (d).
>
> This page* (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/vpn-client/45102-vpnclientfaq.html#client)
> says “The AnyConnect client supports SSL and DTLS. It does not support
> IPsec at this time.”
>
> Dan
>
> * Though that page is also dated 2014, and its references to Windows
> Vista suggest it's older than that. It also makes some
> less-than-confidence-inspiring statements such as, “The languages
> supported on the Cisco VPN Client GUI versions later than 4.0 are
> Canadian, French, and Japanese.”

Using AnyConnect with IPSec has been a thing for a few years.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/anyconnect-secure-mobility-client/113692-technote-anyconnect-00.html

I have to add that I have never used, or attempted to use, IPSec with
AnyConnect.

Cheers

Arne