Compiling Openconnect on CentOS AWS EC2 instance

Hello

some of our developers are using Cloud9 (online IDE, running on an AWS EC2 instance) for development.
We needed to have VPN access working from one of these development machines, and since everything related to Junos/Juniper seemed badly supported  I stumbled upon OpenConnect.

I am currently trying to compile it over there (I didn't find any packages for CentOS).

I followed the guide, downloaded the latest tag I could find from git (6487ee8763e1b6345718684909aca970befbc49d.tar.gz), unzipped it, downloaded vpnc-script and put it under /etc/vpnc, made root the owner and made it executable.
Then I installed the mentioned dependencies ('sudo yum install libxml2' etc.).
Then I ran ./configure --with-vpnc-script=/etc/vpnc/vpnc-script

And then I got stuck, first thing I could resolve (by following the suggested "msgfmt could not be found. Try configuring with --disable-nls").

The next error I encounter is:
--------
configure: error: Package requirements (libxml-2.0) were not met:

No package 'libxml-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBXML2_CFLAGS
and LIBXML2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
--------

So, what would be the best option to fix this error? Set the mentioned LIBXML2* environment variables? But then my question would be: to which values?

Thanks
Frederik