Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: What throughput is reasonable?

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 21:50 +0000, Phillips, Tony wrote:
> So before commenting this output line out, this is what I see:
>
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 1, monitored 0): Resource temporarily unavailable
>  Requeueing failed ESP send (work done 0, monitored 1): Resource temporarily unavailable

OK, you should be getting 'monitored 0' when the packet first failed to
send, then 'monitored 1' when the packet was already requeued once
before, and the socket was being monitored for writeability.

It does look like it *isn't* spinning in an attempt to write. Running
with -vvv may confirm that, as it shows the packets being correctly
sent. Or might just slow the whole thing down to the point where the
interesting case isn't happening any more.

> Performance was about the same as previous run (~20 MB/sec)
>
> Commenting out the vpn_progress() call actually helps quite a bit!
> I'm getting runs now as fast as 50MB/sec.

That makes sense.

> Still see lots of the same IP/UDP errors, and TCP is fairly clean
> with only 23 retransmitted segments after 10 "dd" runs.

Yeah, the attempts to send UDP packets while the sendbuf is full are
still reported, but those packets aren't *lost* any more; they're sent
as soon as the socket will accept them.

> Run times are rather variable -- with the bs=33554432, runs range
> between 20MB/sec to sometimes 50MB/sec.
>
> If I increase it, the runs tend to narrow down closer to 20MB/sec all
> the time.
>
> Making progress!!

At this point, you appear to be sending packets to the UDP socket as
fast as it will accept them. Now, maybe there's some issue with latency
and fairness, and the ACKs coming back are somehow relevant here? But I
wouldn't have expected that.

Now would be the time to try reducing the MTU. I wonder if your UDP
frames are getting fragmented in transit, making less optimal use of
the physical bandwidth than they should? Are you able to capture the
encrypted traffic on the ingress network next to the VPN server?

Can you try running a UDP netperf over the VPN, to eliminate TCP
issues? And in fact, try running the same UDP netperf over the
underlying public network, with various packet sizes.