Openconnect and old gnutls on Ubuntu 14.04

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 1:03 PM Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Generally speaking, packages which need to be updated in order to remain
>
> compatible with changes to protocols on the Internet at large (such as in
> this case, changes to the baseline TLS version that clients must negotiate
> in order to be considered secure) qualify for SRU.  If this is going to
> enable compatibility with some server endpoints that have moved on for
> security reasons (such as the Intel VPN servers), but break compatibility
> with other still-extant server endpoints that don't support current security
> protocols (such as the F5 firewalls, if they're still out there and have
> this bug), we would want to think deeply about making such a choice given
> that affected users also have the option to upgrade to newer versions of
> Ubuntu without impacting users who rely on the less-secure-but-stable
> support for pre-TLS1.1 endpoints.

It's useful to consider the total set of possible consequences of
Nikos's proposed fix, to change "-VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.0" to
"-VERS-SSL3.0".

This would have the following effects on Ubuntu 14.04's openconnect:

1) Good: Fixes the incompatibility reported here, allowing it to
connect to gateways that require TLS1.1 or TLS1.2.
2) Neutral: No effect on ancient gateways that only support SSLv3
(insecure, already locked out).
3) Neutral: No effect on ancient gateways that only support TLS1.0
(still possible to connect).
4) Bad: May prevent connections to TLS-version-intolerant (aka
"broken") servers and middleboxes which support TLS1.0 but fail to
correctly negotiate down to it when presented with TLS1.1/1.2
ClientHellos.

The upside (1) is pretty obvious and clear, because lots of newer
gateways simply refuse TLS1.0 these days.

The downside (4) is hard to estimate? I don't think there are too many
TLS1.0-only version-intolerant middleboxes out there these days
because they would be breaking pretty much all the modern clients with
the misfortune to go through them. And I don't think I've ever seen a
report on the mailing list of a TLS1.0-only version-intolerant Cisco
ASA.

Dan