Why I'm wearing my college shirt today:

Celebrating all students who are choosing to further their education

Today, I’m proudly wearing my alma mater’s apparel to mark College Signing Day. That’s because, as First Lady, I’ve made it my priority to celebrate every high school senior who announces plans for their higher education -- not just athletes signing letters of intent.

National College Signing Day is a tradition I started in 2014 as part of my Reach Higher initiative. Together with celebrities, athletes, families, and young people, we aim to lift up the students across our country who are pursuing their future studies. Their decisions today will mean a better tomorrow for all of us.

So today, please join me in celebrating the importance of higher education. I want to see pictures of you, your family, co-workers, and friends wearing your college gear and posting on social media using the hashtag #CollegeSigningDay.

This year, for my third annual Signing Day event, I will be traveling to the Harlem Armory in New York City to celebrate more than 4,000 graduating high school seniors who are pursuing some form of higher education. I’ll be joined by folks like Common, Melissa McCarthy, Carmelo Anthony, Julianna Margulies, Jay Pharoah, and many others.

Together, we will celebrate these incredible students as they reach higher -- as they head toward universities, community colleges, the military, and vocational and technical schools this fall. This event in New York serves as one of more than 1,000 National College Signing Day events being held all across the country throughout the month of May.

If you want to host an event in your community, it’s not too late sign up at ReachHigher.gov.

Thank you for helping us encourage our nation’s students, and I can't wait to see (and share) your posts!

Sincerely,

Michelle Obama

P.S. Follow along with National College Signing Day on Twitter, @FLOTUS and @ReachHigher, and on Instagram, @MichelleObama and @ReachHigher2020.