Write a letter

Hi, everyone --

Yesterday, I had lunch with a woman named Rebekah at Matt's Bar in Minneapolis.

Rebekah wrote me a letter earlier this spring telling me about the challenges facing her family. More and more, she told me, she and her husband are working harder and harder just to get by.

So I decided to reply to her letter in person.

Rebekah and I spent the day together -- we stopped for burgers before holding a town hall with other members of the community and small business owners, to hear directly from folks about what's on their mind.

I'll be doing more of these trips over the course of the summer, visiting people who have written me, to spend a day in their cities and towns. Because speaking directly with the folks I'm working for every day is the best way to help more Americans understand why growing opportunity in this country is so important.

So if you've got a story you want to share with me -- about how you're doing, what challenges you face, and what's working for you -- I want to hear from you.

When Rebekah wrote me, she said, "I'm pretty sure this is a silly thing to do, to write the President."

But it's not a silly thing at all. It means so much to me to read your letters. They remind me exactly who we're fighting for every single day.

Because, as a nation, we've made it through some tough times. Over the past 51 months, our businesses have created 9.4 million new jobs. But we have more work to do to open the doors of opportunity for more Americans. That's part of what makes these visits so important -- I want you to know that I'm keeping up this fight until everyone who works hard has the chance to succeed.

If you're feeling inspired, drop me a line. Tell me about your family, your neighborhood -- or simply how you're doing.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

President Barack Obama

P.S. -- You can send it by mail, too. You might even know the address already: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, D.C.