Here’s what the proposed power plant rule means for you:

Power plants currently churn out about 40 percent of the carbon pollution in the air we breathe, and contribute to hundreds of thousands of asthma attacks and thousands of heart attacks.

And even though we limit the amount of toxic chemicals like mercury, sulfur, and arsenic that power plants can put in our air and water, there are no national limits on the carbon pollution they can release.

As President Obama said in his weekly address on Saturday, "It's not smart, it's not safe, and it doesn't make sense."

That's why today, at the President's direction, the EPA is taking steps to change that with a proposal that will set the first-ever national carbon pollution limits for our country's existing power plants.

These standards will cut down on the carbon pollution, smog, and soot in our air -- and as a result, Americans will live longer and breathe easier.

Check out the full infographic to learn more

In the first year the new standards are implemented, they'll prevent up to 100,000 asthma attacks and 2,100 heart attacks. And the numbers will only go up from there.

That means Americans will be taking fewer trips to the emergency room, spending less time away from school or from work, and enjoying longer, healthier lives.

With such clear benefits, it's a no-brainer: Cutting the amount of carbon pollution from our power plants is the right thing to do.

Learn more about how the EPA's proposed standards will make our communities healthier -- then add your name to stay involved with President Obama's Climate Action Plan.

Thanks,

John

John Podesta
Counselor to the President