"$40 is big money for us"

Title: "$40 is big money for us"
The White House Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011

"$40 is big money for us"

Yesterday, we asked you to tell us what losing $40 per paycheck would mean to you and your family if the House doesn’t pass the bipartisan payroll tax cut compromise by the end of this year.

The response was truly overwhelming. Thousands of Americans have responded and we wanted to make sure you saw some of the responses that have poured in from across the country.

If you haven't already, tell us what $40 means for you and your family, and see what it means for other Americans.

Have questions about the payroll tax cut? Today at 3:30 p.m. EDT, Brian Deese, Deputy Director of the National Economic Council, will be holding Office Hours on the @WHLive Twitter account - join in the conversation using the hashtag #WHChat.

Stories submitted on WhiteHouse.gov

I can buy lunch from the cafeteria for almost a whole month for my twins, I can buy food, or pay for gas. I can save it for my daughter’s prescriptions deductibles. To some people $40 is nothing, but $40 is big money for us.
L.A., Hamden, Connecticut

$40.00 a paycheck will allow me to continue to pay co-pays to doctors for necessary medical treatments needed to control debilitating disease.
J.R., Arlington, Texas

Our cable internet bill is $49 per month. If we lose this payroll tax cut then we will have to give up either or internet access or possibly our 'Friday Family Pizza' night. Either way, we will lose something that brings us together as a family.
K.Z., Frederick, Maryland

After everything that comes out, including my mortgage my take home pay is $150.00 every two weeks. So minus forty would be $110.00. I can barely get by now, that forty bucks is my gas for my car to get to work. Taking forty away from my pay would, just about put me under.
R.T., Charleston, West Virginia

$40 less a paycheck means I will have to pick between my insulin and the water bill. It means never being able to see my doctor - even though I have insurance.
B.T., Roswell, New Mexico

90 days of prescription drugs
P.B., Milledgeville, Georgia

$40 a paycheck for my family helps pay for insulin, syringes, and blood sugar testing strips for my daughter, who was diagnosed with type I diabetes 5 years ago.
N.F., Midwest City, Oklahoma

The $40 I would lose is money I send to help my brother.  He has had a myriad of health problems over the past two years and has only been able to work intermittently. He was recently diagnosed with inoperable cancer and has no health insurance.  Without what some say isn't a lot of money, my brother wouldn't have food in his refrigerator.
S.K., Somerville, Massachusetts

Normally any extra money I have. I give to the needy. Salvation Army is my favorite charity. So I won’t be giving to charities or buying anything for anyone.
P.C., Lakeville, Minnesota

Stories submitted via Twitter

Read these tweets on WhiteHouse.gov

Tell us what $40 means for you and your family.

Stay Connected