8

Title: 8

The White House, Washington

Good afternoon,

8 -- that's the number of people every minute who are denied coverage, charged a higher rate or otherwise discriminated against because of a pre-existing condition.1

8 is also the number of lobbyists hired by special interests to influence health reform for every member of Congress in 2009.2

The facts speak for themselves -- the status quo isn't working, and special interests are doing everything in their power to maintain that status quo.

Being denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition is something we all know is wrong. And for those 8 people every minute who can't find health coverage or face discrimination because of a pre-existing condition, reform can't wait.

Learn More

Statistics like these help put the past year's debate over health insurance reform into perspective, demonstrating how broken our health insurance system has become. Each day this week, we'll promote a key number on WhiteHouse.gov and social networks like Facebook and Twitter to raise awareness about why the time is now for health insurance reform.

You can help spread the word about the need for health insurance reform by forwarding this email to your family, friends and online networks.

Let's get it done.

Nancy-Ann DeParle
Director, White House Office of Health Reform

1HealthReform.gov, Coverage Denied: How the Current Health Insurance System Leaves Millions Behind
2The Center for Public Integrity, Lobbyists Swarm Capitol To Influence Health Reform

Visit WhiteHouse.gov