Re: linux-6.2-rc4+ hangs on poweroff/reboot: Bisected

Hi.

I'm assuming  that we are not going to see a fix for this regression before 6.2 is released. Consequently, I've
implemented a (very simple) workaround. All that happens is that in the (sysv) init script that starts and stops SDDM,
the nouveau module is removed once SDDM is stopped. With that in place, my system no longer freezes on reboot or poweroff.

Let me know if I can provide any additional diagnostics although, with the problem seemingly occurring so late in the
shutdown process, I may need help on how to go about capturing.

Chris

On 02/02/2023 20:45, Chris Clayton wrote:

> On 01/02/2023 13:51, Chris Clayton wrote:

>>> The symlinks are correct - whole groups of GPUs share the same FW, and
>>> we use symlinks in linux-firmware to represent this.
>>>
>>> I don't really have any ideas how/why this patch causes issues with
>>> shutdown - it's a path that only gets executed during initialisation.
>>> Can you try and capture the kernel log during shutdown ("dmesg -w"
>>> over ssh? netconsole?), and see if there's any relevant messages
>>> providing a hint at what's going on?  Alternatively, you could try
>>> unloading the module (you will have to stop X/wayland/gdm/etc/etc
>>> first) and seeing if that hangs too.
>>>
>>> Ben.
>>
>> Sorry for the delay - I've been learning about netconsole and netcat. However, I had no success with ssh and netconsole
>> produced a log with nothing unusual in it.
>>
>> Simply stopping Xorg and removing the nouveau module succeeds.
>>
>> So, I rebuilt rc6+ after a pull from linus' tree this morning and set the nouveau debug level to 7. I then booted to a
>> console before doing a reboot (with Ctl+Alt+Del). As expected the machine locked up just before it would ordinarily
>> restart. The last few lines on the console might be helpful:

>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  fifo: preinit running...
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  fifo: preinit completed in 4us
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  gr: preinit running...
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  gr: preinit completed in 0us
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  nvdec0: preinit running...
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  nvdec0: preinit completed in 0us
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  nvdec0: preinit running...
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  nvdec0: preinit completed in 0us
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  sec2: preinit running...
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  sec2: preinit completed in 0us
>> nouveau 0000:01:00:0  fb:.VPR locked, running scrubber binary
>>
>> These messages appear after the "sd 4:0:0:0 [sda] Stopping disk" I reported in my initial email.
>>
>> After the "running scrubber" line appears the machine is locked and I have to hold down the power button to recover. I
>> get the same outcome from running "halt -dip", "poweroff -di" and "shutdown -h -P now". I guess it's no surprise that
>> all three result in the same outcome because invocations halt, poweroff and reboot (without the -f argument)from a
>> runlevel other than 0 resukt in shutdown being run. switching to runlevel 0 with "telenit 0" results in the same
>> messages from nouveau followed by the lockup.
>>
>> Let me know if you need any additional diagnostics.
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I've done some more investigation and found that I hadn't done sufficient amemdment the scripts run at shutdown to
> prevent the network being shutdown. I've now got netconsole captures for 6.2.0-rc6+
> (9f266ccaa2f5228bfe67ad58a94ca4e0109b954a) and, for comparison, 6.1.9. These two logs are attached.
>
> Chris

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]