Re: TV Out question

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/KernelModuleParameters.html

Perhaps nouveau.tv_norm=NTSC-M will help get you the 60hz modes? I
haven't played with these options much at all, it has always sorta
Just Worked for me.

This should have the validation of new modes, make sure you don't run
afoul of this:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm/drm/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/dispnv04/tvnv17.c#n303

Cheers,

  -ilia

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 10:56 PM Lukas Satin <luke.satin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I am currently testing Batocera Linux for retrogaming with 15KHz output on CRT / TV.
>
> The machine I discovered is a certified Windows Media Center / Intel ViiV machine: Acer iDEA 510
>
> It features:
> RCA component output
> S-Video CVBS output
> S-Video DIN output
> Scart IN / Scart OUT (two DVB-T tuners for realtime playback and recording)
> DVI-I out
> HDMI out
>
> Laptop style components, MXM module Geforce 7 Go 7600 (NVIDIA Curie).
>
> Now, BIOS default output via RCA component is 640x480 NTSC (480i, 60Hz). In Windows I can switch between NTSC and PAL (480i or 576i).
>
> As this is EU machine, after BIOS it often defaults to 576i PAL, unless set otherwise.
>
> Now your nouveau driver therefore defaults to 576i.
>
> Xrandr looks like this:
> TV-1 connected 640x480+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
>    720x576       50.00 +
>    1024x768      50.00
>    800x600       50.00
>    720x480       50.00
>    640x480       50.00*
>    400x300       50.00
>    320x240       50.00
>    320x200       50.00
>    768x576       50.00
>    360x200       60.00
>    360x240       60.00
>    640x240       60.00
>
> I tried to add some additional modelines. But look at 640x480. It forces 50Hz and I am unable to remove it, create new or change it to 60Hz. Therefore the TV is always set to 576i and screen output is 640x480, therefore it looks like GPU scaled. First I read your troubleshooting which mentions scaling, so I tried to disable scaling. Did not help.
>
> Now I read about this:
> https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/177/~/linux---configuring-tv-out
>
> And this might be the solution and issue. It would correspond with what can be observed in Windows 7.
>
> Does your driver have some options for configuring TV Out and name switching from PAL to NTSC or HD480i mode? It should be automatic based on 480i or 576i or 240p or 288p, but it is not.
>
> Thanks,
> Lukas

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]