Re: hardware donation

On 11 Nov 2021, 09:08, Uwe Sauter wrote:
Hi!
Sorry for the late reply. I don't have the time at the moment, but I
will try the newest Debian testing on that system and report back. If
that does work, it is an option to actually keep the system and use it
as originally intended.

If it doesn't work, I'm thinking about 1) Fedora and 2) Gentoo (because
that's what I normally use). Even though the later would be quite time
consuming, I'd certainly get the newest available sources to the hardware.

Hi,

if you don't have time to compile a whole new Gentoo system then take a look at Arch Linux where you
will find the latest kernel release only a few days after there were released.

I was using Gentoo for many years but it became too time consuming and the change to Arch was time
well spent (in regards to how much time I need now to keep the systems up to date).

(This post's intention is not to start discussions regarding distributions, only to bring awareness
to Arch as rolling update distribution using the newest kernel and drivers.)

Regards,

	Uwe

Thanks, I'll definitely consider it. I've wanted to try Arch for years
now, the Wiki is wonderful and I hear the distribution is as well. On my
current Linux boxes the updates don't take that much time really. Also,
what I do on one computer is more or less a template of how to proceed
on another, so it really isn't /that/ much work, except for the
compiling, but that's mostly the CPUs work... ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I almost forgot about Arch... /Shame
on me/

Linux User #330250

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]