Re: RTX 3070 / NV174 / GA104 - is there any development happening?

On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 08:25, Karol Herbst <kherbst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Przemo Firszt <przemo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you advise if there is any work happening on NV174 / GA104 (market
> > name RTX 3070)? I checked the features matrix and searched the code of
> > kernel, mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau. The only thig that seems
> > to be ready is kernel mode setting and the only piece of code showing
> > any results when searching for the code names is the linux kernel:
> >
> > $ grep -ERi 'ga104|fv170|fv174'
> > grep: linux/.git/objects/pack/pack-
> > ab4e07c9b3c4ddb7ed2970684121a5c4b7ddfb1d.pack: binary file matches
> > linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/device/base.c:        .name
> > = "GA104",
> >
> > Is there any developmen happening in the public space? I'd like to
> > support it (coding, testing, donating money) as I have a laptop with
> > that card.
> >

> Sadly there isn't much you can do right now as the next step is to
> wait until Nvidia releases and publishes firmware files in order to
> enable acceleration in Nouveau. Once that happens we will enable
> OpenGL on those GPUs and then everybody is welcomed to report bugs and
> so on. But atm it just stalls on the initial enablement of those
> pieces. The firmware would land in the linux-firmware repository under
> nvidia/ga104 for your GPU.
I have had a whole slew of code sitting around locally for quite a
while now, towards enabling acceleration on these GPUs.  Ampere has
some significant changes in a few areas.  It hadn't been a huge
priority to push out due to the lack of available firmware, and I'd
taken the opportunity to work it in with numerous other improvements
which will benefit earlier chipsets / work towards enabling Vulkan at
the same time.

However, it turns out Optimus/Prime without copy engine support
(engine/ce, which depends on engine/host) is probably not possible.
And, likely unusable even if it were.  So, I'm working furiously to
get those chunks of it ready ASAP to at least enable those use-cases.
Hopefully full acceleration will appear not too long afterwards, I'm
working with NVIDIA on it.

Ben.

> > --
> > Kind regards,
> > Przemo Firszt

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]