Re: Cannot start a secondary Xserver with resolution 6480x3840

The scenario you describe should most definitely work -- switching
between different instances of X running on different vt's.

Your GPU has 4 CRTC's (Kepler, then Maxwell, then Pascal -- that's
your generation), which means you can have up to 4 heads at the same
time.

Here's a config that I use to get both of my monitors to come up the
way I want them to, using the nouveau ddx, without messing with randr
on startup:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Mon0"
  Option "Rotate" "left"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "Mon1"
  Option "Rotate" "right"
  Option "RightOf" "DVI-D-1"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nouveau"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"

        Option "Monitor-DVI-D-1" "Mon0"
        Option "Monitor-HDMI-1" "Mon1"
EndSection

Presumably you want the same setup for all your instances of X, but in
case that's not the case, you can have multiple different configs, and
invoke them with Xorg -config <name of config>.

If you still have problems, I'd encourage you to join #nouveau on
irc.freenode.net -- much easier to resolve such issues in realtime.

Cheers,

  -ilia