Re: NNTPC: Filling disks

Amazingly enough John Lauro said:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 1997 15:04:26 +0100 (MET), Tor Houghton wrote:
> >Is there a way of setting up NNTPcache a la Squid? "Don't you use any more
> >disk space than XXXXMB"
>
> I don't think so.  The closest is to tell it how much to keep free.
> Set that to a rather high number.  I have minBlocksFree set to 200000.

IMO, the best of of dealing with this is to put all the nntpcache stuff
onto it's own partition.

Then again, I believe in having tons of paritions.  I separate /, /usr,
/home, /tmp, /var, mail and news each onto their own partitions. (I also
have X and TeX on their own partitions as well).

News is a highly volatile system.  It's always changing the structure of
the file system.  Even more so than the normal stuff in /var, and probably
more so than mail.  So separating news onto it's own partition increases
the stability of the whole system.  In addition to this problem with
filling disks, you also have less of a chance of a file system that you
can't recover with fsck due to a system crash at just the wrong time.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  dalgoda@ix.netcom.com  and be right all the time, or not work at all