Re: NNTPC: new news in newsgroups

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Luke Bowker wrote:

> If it works correctly connecting directly to the server then I suspect the
> problem is in nntpcached. It may not be a problem at all though, since
> nntpcache is designed to cache the active file for the period specified
> in the nntpcache.servers file. When it receives a connect from a client,
> it checks to see if the timeout interval has expired, and if it has, then
> it hands out the OLD data, then forks off into the background to refetch
> and collate the active file, this is to prevent any client from having to
> wait for a time consuming active file rebuild. You may wish to check to
> see if this is what's happening (syslog will tell you when it does rebuilds).

> Does tin use the active file to check for unread messages in this mode? I
> know that there's a few newsreader clients (eg. netscape), that check for
> new news by simply sending group commands for each subscribed group. Group
> commands aren't cached (to maintain synchronisation with the server(s)),
> so tin might be finding new messages that the active file doesn't (yet)
> show this way.

This might be the issue, it seems to be so that with '-n' tin only issues
group-commands and so it finds new news correctly. And when doing refresh
group command is also used. Without '-n' tin retrieves the whole active
file and doesn't find all new messages.

My new problem is that 'nntpcached' sometimes terminates silently from the
background (has done so 3 times now within 30 hours of operation) and I
have to restart it. I'll investigate...

---
Hannu Laurila - kube@japo.fi  *  Kauppakatu 10, FIN-62900 ALAJÄRVI
Alajärven Puhelinosuuskunta   *  Tel +358 66 557 2209 - Fax +358 66 557 2788