 From: theedge@localnet.com (Jim U'Ren)
 Newsgroups: alt.marketplace,alt.marketplace.collectables
 Subject: WTS: Inch the Catapiller Beanie Baby
 Date: 29 Aug 1997 19:10:23 GMT

THE REAL PROBLEM that generates bunches of these is that when you ask for
an article by id, nntpcache will interrogate all the servers it know
about looking for that article, and when it finds it, if that server
isn't authorized for that group, the Xrefmungewhatever function returns
an empty an empty Xref line.  With my suggested patch, crosspost doesn't
get the article number, so it tries to xpath it from the server it got t
he answer from.  If it gets one, it merrily caches the article away, and
you could now get it again out of the cache if you knew the article ID.

A side effect of this process is that you can read news off a server by
article ID that's in a group you couldn't get to by message id.  Given
an article ID, nntpcache will try real hard to give you the article.

I'm going to keep running for awhile with my patch, it seems to do more
good than harm.  At least the log is quieter.

--
Aaron Nabil
nabil@teleport.com