Re: NNTPC: Setting up...

Hi Eric,
Well I'll try to explain things a bit. All corrections are welcome.
NNTPCache is a NNTP proxy server. That is, your newsreader program (like
WinVN, Netscape News, Forte, Microsoft Internet News etc.) connects to it
just as it would to ordinary NNTP server (like Unix system running INN
suite). However, it NNTPCache system does not store the entire newsfeed as
normal Usenet node does. Instead, when client newsreader asks for a certain
article, it goes and gets it from the primary NNTP server. If it then asks
for another article, it will go again and get that article. However, the
retrieved articles (and some supporting info) are cached. Thus, if another
client asks for the same article, NNTPCache need not go to primary server.
It just grabs the cached copy and returns it. So, it saves the bandwidth if
some information is accessed by several users. It also saves the bandwidth
(and disk space on server) by retrieving only those articles that are
really needed.
The bottom line is you need the primary server which would be willing to
give you NNTP access.

Hope this helps			Genie

> From: Eric Theriault <syn@fxbbs.com>
> FXBBS is an ISP, so what I mean is providing them with Newsgroups without
> eating up the bandwidth.  Looking forward to any assistance.

---
Eugene V. Radchenko              Research associate, Computer Chemistry
E-mail: genie@qsar.chem.msu.su               http://org.chem.msu.su/~genie
Once installed, CD-ROM can be connected to Internet via your
computer's modem    ----  TV Commercial, Intel Corp. Russia