Re: NNTPC: Small summary: Problem with nntpcache on Solaris

> Thanks all for the info.
>
> I commented all setproctitle() in the sources and recompiled.
> Now the arguments options work. But why -e, i.e. expire,
> does not work with a running nntpcached daemon. It will
> kill present running daemons.

You shouldn't be using -e if nntpcached is already running.
-e starts up an nntpcached, performs an expire, then exits.

What you should be using is:

       SIGUSR2
              Force the master server to perform an expire.

> On the other hand, I found that
> if the news server is down, nntpcached will return the cached
> article to the client, but it will hang the connection if there
> is a missed cache. Anybody else has such experience. Does anybody
> knows how do I make nntpcached send an error message on missed
> cache when the server is down. Thanks.

nntpcache tries three times to contact the server (unless it has
been contacted) before during cache-miss. This is probably the delay
you are seeing. Ideally this should be changed to a back-off and
ignore algorithm.

> Georges Chan.
>
> Hongkong Telecom IMS.
  ^^^^^^^^

How were your monumental times? If anything will keep HK free it
will be the inet - it seems to me that large infra-structure and
marketing investment now in hk is vital to your political and social
democracy in the future.

Cheers,
Julian.