Re: NNTPC: performance enhancements and other questions

On Sat, 07 Jun 1997 16:48:36 +0200, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

>> What kind of insane news-reader insists on using HEAD when XOVER is
>> available?
>
>Quite a few, unfortunately. On one of the busy nntpcache servers here,
>1/3 of the files in each group directory are _head files.

(Some of our readers are even more insane, and have almost 50% in some
groups.  Other groups are better balanced.)

>I agree that it would be good to get rid of the single file per article,
>but I think it would be better to spend some time finding a general
>solution to this, instead of concentrating on the _head files.

Maybe this would work...
What about the fact that many articles in the spool also have a HEAD
file?  Why not remove the HEAD if the article file exists, or skip the
header from the article file?  In many cases the HEAD files are 90% the
size of the article file...  (20 header lines, and 2 lines of article).